Wednesday, April 23, 2014

When a movie isn't just a movie

 As a kid, I loved Disney movies--my favorite was 101 Dalmatians because I love dogs and their English accents were so whimsical to me.  I saved all the movies that I could when I moved out of my parents' home and started my own life as an adult hoping that one day I'd be able to enjoy them with a kiddo of my own.

Enter Owen:  the kid who never seemed to like cartoons at all.  It's only within the last year that he started really getting into Curious George and now The Cat in the Hat on PBS.  So a cartoon movie just seemed out of the question because they can be a bit too long to hold his attention.   Add the noise that a movie theater brings and I knew that we weren't going to be visiting one any time soon.

One Sunday we were flipping through the channels to find something to watch and "The Incredibles" movie was playing and I tuned in.  Owen fell in love!  The action of the characters was great--running around, chasing things, lots of crashes and several explosions and we had a boy that was laughing and cheering.  Then at a friends' house, he discovered a book about "The Incredibles" that he wouldn't put down.  I asked my friend about the book and she explained that it was a set of books about several Disney/Pixar movies.  I hunted the set down online, knowing that Owen would probably like several of the books since another one in the set was "Cars" and we all know how much the boy loves his cars.  :)

It turns out he loved all the books in the set--"Tangled", "Up", "Monsters, Inc", "Toy Story 3", "Wall-E".  He has figured out that several of the books even have a movie and we've watched a couple of them with great success.  He really likes "Toy Story 3" and I can't blame him--it's probably my favorite too.  What's even more interesting is that he identifies the characters on other media too.  We were at Target, looking through the book section and he kept trying to tell me something.  He was frantically pointing and signing book and airplane.  Of course I grabbed a book about a plane and he vehemently shook his head NO!  I looked again and there was a book with Buzz Lightyear on it.  So I asked if that was the one he wanted and got a resounding YES.

It took a little longer, but it's been great sharing the experience of watching a movie together.  This definitely wasn't something he could do when he was 2 or 3 years old--his attention span just wasn't there.  But now, especially when he's making all these connections to other things, he really enjoys sitting on the big comfy couch and sharing a bowl of popcorn with us.  And I think we'll break out that old VHS tape of 101 Dalmatians this weekend......let the Disney takeover of our lives begin!

10 comments:

  1. We're getting ready to break out Lion King. It came out when Angela was little. It was the first movie she saw in a theater. I think my others will finally enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is SO exciting!!! Bear won't sit through a movie either and I have been holding onto all my Disney movies for the day when she can sit through them. She sat through 15 minutes of Frozen the other day. I cried tears of happiness. Isn't it great to see the progress our kids are making? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to see them doing at their own pace. When I first started hearing friends talk about taking their 2 or 3 year old to a movie, I was a bit panicked. Should I be doing that too?? But then I realized, who cares? If my kid doesn't like movie theaters or doesn't want to watch the current "it" movie, no big deal!

      Delete
  3. Russell won't sit through a cartoon movie...But he will sit through The Man from Snowy River! haha

    That's awesome Owen is learning to enjoy so many different movies...The Toy Story movies are by far my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so exciting when they make connections with other things! Beth was the same way with her 'big books' as we called them. She still has many of the large, Disney books and they are basically identical to the movie. She would love to turn the pages and follow along. I'm smiling just thinking of all the fun you're going to have with Disney!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love! Ben is still not big enough to do a regular movie - although he could watch Signing Time or the Laurie Berkner Band for hours. It's very cool that Owen's making those connections! But I would be a wreck if we had to watch any of the Toy Story movies multiple times - they (especially the 3rd) make me all teary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about the Toy Story movies.......every time I say "I'm not going to cry" while watching TS 3, I always do at the end. There's something about Andy growing up that gets to me.

      Delete
  6. There is definitely something special about being able to share YOUR love for something with your children... and something so disappointing when they don't love that something like you do. Hope you enjoy the Disney movie fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is great! I know it must be a very special moment for you both to share. I see many more movies in your future with that sweet little guy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Little Mermaid was my favorite. Ben's up to about 30 - 45 minutes for sitting still in front of the TV. Unfortunately for him, he has to watch a lot of Colin's stuff.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments and answering questions, so please let me know that you stopped by!